This Godaddy.com commercial sets a scene a with a scantily dressed woman 'working' in an office setting. The only other woman in the office asks why she is there and one of the men attempts to explain her role in the office. The woman observes that every task she has in the office is already performed by godaddy.com while the men fail at seeing the redundancy in having her in the office. What is the purpose of having the women in the ad? How do you think that affects the publics reaction to godaddy.com? Who do you think the ad is targeted at and how would men perceive it differently than women? Do you think it's strange that the ad doesn't focus on what the company can do but instead on a woman in a robe?
This advertisement (like almost all of the GoDaddy advertisements) plays almost exclusively to the male crowd. The use of overt female sexuality can make other females feel quite uncomfortable or, on the contrary, it can have a influential or inspirational effect on female viewers. Either way, this commercial certainly captures the audience's attention and intrigues viewers as to the true purpose of GoDaddy.com. I know that many of my female friends find these commercials revolting and refuse to even look at GoDaddy.com. Their positions reveal that companies have to choose between offending only one group of people (females in this case) while simultaneously capturing the other group's attention or not being offensive and risk not being memorable. Companies are faced with these decisions daily about whether or not to opt for more controversial ads in a decade where pushing the limit seems almost necessary. Personally, I do not find these GoDaddy commercials offensive yet I do feel slightly uncomfortable during them. The real problem I have with these commercials is that they do not inform the audience on what GoDaddy actually is! Sometimes I am curious as to what GoDaddy can do for companies but I am afraid to visit their website and see more scantily clad women. Either way, GoDaddy has established a marketing strategy for themselves and it must be working!
The purpose of the woman in the ad is to attract the attention of a male audience. I think this would really increase the responsiveness of men who use godaddy.com, but potentially turn women who view the commercial away from the site because it is clearly directed towards men. Women may see this ad as offensive; they may think this ad is saying that women can get jobs solely based on their looks. This is shown when the other woman in the commercial (the one not wearing the robe) says that every task in the office is already performed by godaddy.com. Could this mean that the woman in the robe only got her job because the male employees just wanted to look at her every day? I do find it very odd that the company doesn’t focus on what they do, but instead on the woman in the robe. This commercial may grab the attention of many men, potentially causing them to go to the website right away, but in agreement with Mary, the ad still does not say anything about what godaddy.com actually is or does! This is where they will lose their female audience completely. I see this ad as discriminating against women with the visuals alone, but by not explaining what the website is will lose the company’s chance of the female audience visiting the site at all.
This advertisement is geared to males and I agree that it can make girls feel quite uncomfortable if they are watching. The purpose of the woman in the ad is just to try to get males to watch the commercial and then go to godaddy.com. At the ending, when the woman is about to take her dress off and then the commercial ends, I think it would leave the males wanting more which would persuade them to look at the website. I think females could be either offended or not really bothered by it. They could be offended because it is directly targeting males. Contrary, they could be fine with the commercial, thinking that they can get a job based on their looks which could be an advantage to women since today men are more likely to be hired than women. Companies have different options in which to attract their viewers and I think that they took the approach to have more people to look at the website and not exactly at what the company can do. I didn’t know what godaddy.com was until someone told me and at first I thought the commercial was advertising something a little bit differently, which goes along with Nicole and Mary. Who are they and what do they do? Every company has their own strategy for attracting viewers and this is the path godaddy.com decided to choose.
I agree that this ad is very male oriented as the only reason the woman is in the ad is to hook in male viewers. In regards to the public's reaction, its typical of an ad geared towards a certain demographic, it will entice one group but possibly offend another which in this case is women. Godaddy is an internet domain registrar and web hosting company and lets face it, this stuff tends to be a more male dominated field of interest, so the ads focus on a male audience would make sense. The way in which it uses women to appeal to men may upset many people but its nothing new and is almost expected in our culture today.
I do agree with everyone above that it is really weird that they don't actually explain what Godaddy is as it's not that really well known of a company. This may be a marketing strategy as it forces those that are interested to research Godaddy which in effect gives the company more advertisement and web traffic.
Overall its an appealing ad and targets the correct audience effectively.
After watching this commercial I was still confused about the purpose of Godaddy.com. Even though they said some general information about the website I still looked it up to find out exactly what it does. Leaving the viewer with questions may be another one of their marketing schemes to get people to do more research on them.
And obviously, by using attractive and scantily dressed women it makes the commercial more memorable in a man's mind. This webiste hosting company chose to gear this commercial towards (young) males who are starting a new business or website. Like Virgil said, this is usually a male dominated field so it makes sense why they chose this.
They have also chosen to be a bit edgy and on the verge on inappropriate in their marketing to make an impression on their audience. This commercial seems unprofessional and I got the impression that they were a new company; however, i was completely wrong. I agree with everyone that this it is definitely strange how they choose to advertise them self but it is working for them.
I have heard of godaddy.com many times before. I never knew or understood what it is and after watching this commercial, I am still unclear on that. The reason for why they do not explain what the website is for may be that they want the audience to be a little confused and ask questions and then visit the website for the answers. It is clear that the commercial focuses on the male audience, and if I knew more about the what the website is for I may understand why.
The purpose of having the women in the ad is to try to get a male’s attention to the commercial. Besides that you can have any other person be the women in the add to get the point across. Every Go Daddy commercial I see on tv tends to have a racy type of feeling with some sort of women stripping off her clothes. I personally don’t mind the add but it does not get me to like Go Daddy anymore then it would if it had a regular commercial. When I think of domain names I don’t think of beautiful women so it surprises me and makes me think why a website company would use it.
Since the ad is targeting men I feel like they loose any female watchers when the ad airs. I don’t think women really care about the ad but it does really appeal to them making the ad virtually useless to them. But in general the women I think takes away from the product not making it as successful as it could be.
Any ad I can remember about Godaddy.com has minimally clothed women in it. Instead of spending more time and money on relaying the actual message of what service Godaddy.com provides to consumers, the company seems to have more of an interest in affiliating their company name with attractive women. There are many more Godaddy ads in which women are the main content as well. I think what the company is trying to do is make consumers affiliate the name Godaddy to an image of beauty and enticement. Many people don't even know what type of service Godaddy sells, but they know the name of the company, and can surely link it to these ideas of beautiful women. It is a different than usual type of advertising, to solely show women and barely mention the product being advertised. These ads must be proving successful for Godaddy, or else the company would not continue using them. It is going to be interesting to see just how effective this technique will be.
I have never seen this commercial before now, yet I have seen others and they are all very similar. At least one girl with sexual appeal throughout the whole commercial and then at the end she begins taking off her clothes and it ends by tell you that if you want to see more, go to their website. Having women like this in their ads is definitely just to get the attention of the male audience. However, by doing that they are running the risk of losing some of the female audience. The girls who watch this might think that they are using women as objects and for eye candy. For this commercial, they might think that women in the work place are only there because they look good. After seeing many of these godaddy.com commercials, I still have not seen one that tells all about the company and what it actually does. I do think that it is kind of strange that they do that, but it did make me look it up and find out what it is. So by being vague, they get the people who are interested in the company to look up what it is and that gets their name out and around the internet. This must be working, because they are making money and they keep making these types of commercials.
The purpose of having the woman in the ad is absolutely attracting male audiences, but I think, also attracting females. Probably some women would try Godaddy.com to be as leisurely and comfortable as that woman in the ad. However, to be honest, I don’t quite understand about this commercial. I don’t it has informed audiences about what’s the advantages of using Godaddy.com. The commercial aims at how sexy the woman is, but it seems has nothing to do with Godaddy.com which provides domain names. Probably the person who makes this just wants to make everyone remember the name of Godaddy.com, and therefore have a larger possibility to go for using it.
This advertisement does say a little about what godaddy.com but it is not much. After watching this commercial and all the other godaddy.com commercial it is obvious as to why they have these attractive girls on their website. The whole point is to attract men to the website. Also think about how much people would know about godaddy.com without these advertisements. If these commercials were not different or did not stand out, nobody would ever watch or know about the godaddy.com website. Yes, this commercial is mainly pointed to men, but that is because the commercials are usually shown during sports. The most I remember seeing the commercial is during the Super Bowl, which is male dominant in viewing.
I think the ad is targeted to the guys, obviously. The purpose of having this woman in the ad is to attract the guys but also this commercial. Although I still don’t exactly understand the meaning and the point to this commercial which makes it a little harder to understand what the main point to this ad is. I feel as though this commercial says that godaddy.com does every job, and the woman in the office is just there to look at and be entertained. As a public attention I would think that it attracts guys and something for dads to read, well the guys to go surf on that web. The ad is targeted to the men out there watching this, and most likely the guys would enjoy seeing a hot lady in an office working making it more enjoyable for guys. However, I do find it strange that this ad focus a lot more on that woman and the sexual appeal rather than the company or this godaddy.com website. After watching this commercial I still don’t have an idea to what this commercial was about, or the meaning behind it.
I honestly think this ad is genius in that it specifically targets an audience. I definitely agree that the audience being targeted is males since the main focus of the ad seems to be “Heather” and her unorthodox work apparel. The reason I say this ad is genius is because it is a fact that sex sells in the world we live in now. They may not specifically say what exactly their product is, but almost all of their commercials leave the viewers hanging with some sort of risqué behavior followed by the words, “See more now!” This entices their targeted males to do just that and see what godaddy.com is really all about. One could argue that godaddy.com is losing potential female customers or offending others, however who really would be using their services? It seems as if the targeted audience is just the type of person who would use their website, thus being a successful ad.
In this ad, it is apparent that men are the intended audience. Some females might find this ad offensive, but I don't take offense to it. This commercial did a good job of capturing its intended audience's attention. Godaddy.com used sex appeal, because that is really what sells these days. While this commercial does not really explain what godaddy.com is, it captures the attention of its audience, making them more likely to visit the website out of curiosity. Overall I think go daddy.com did a good job of intriguing the audience and marketing their website.
Obviously the intended audience for this GoDaddy commercial is male. As Nathan stated, sex sells. Like all commercials that contain a scantily clad woman, this commercial tends to imediately capture the attention of the male audience. This commercial uses the foot in door approach to sell their product. The women draw in the targeted audience and curiosity completes the allure for this commercial. I don't find these commercials particularly effective at marketing the GoDaddy.com product. As many GoDaddy commercials as I have seen on TV, I still have yet to understand what exactly the commercials are trying to sell. This ad campaign must be working pretty well since it is one of many similar commercials that have used the GoDaddy name. Although it may almost completely alienate women, that doesn't seem to matter.
This advertisement (like almost all of the GoDaddy advertisements) plays almost exclusively to the male crowd. The use of overt female sexuality can make other females feel quite uncomfortable or, on the contrary, it can have a influential or inspirational effect on female viewers. Either way, this commercial certainly captures the audience's attention and intrigues viewers as to the true purpose of GoDaddy.com.
ReplyDeleteI know that many of my female friends find these commercials revolting and refuse to even look at GoDaddy.com. Their positions reveal that companies have to choose between offending only one group of people (females in this case) while simultaneously capturing the other group's attention or not being offensive and risk not being memorable.
Companies are faced with these decisions daily about whether or not to opt for more controversial ads in a decade where pushing the limit seems almost necessary.
Personally, I do not find these GoDaddy commercials offensive yet I do feel slightly uncomfortable during them. The real problem I have with these commercials is that they do not inform the audience on what GoDaddy actually is! Sometimes I am curious as to what GoDaddy can do for companies but I am afraid to visit their website and see more scantily clad women. Either way, GoDaddy has established a marketing strategy for themselves and it must be working!
The purpose of the woman in the ad is to attract the attention of a male audience. I think this would really increase the responsiveness of men who use godaddy.com, but potentially turn women who view the commercial away from the site because it is clearly directed towards men. Women may see this ad as offensive; they may think this ad is saying that women can get jobs solely based on their looks. This is shown when the other woman in the commercial (the one not wearing the robe) says that every task in the office is already performed by godaddy.com. Could this mean that the woman in the robe only got her job because the male employees just wanted to look at her every day?
ReplyDeleteI do find it very odd that the company doesn’t focus on what they do, but instead on the woman in the robe. This commercial may grab the attention of many men, potentially causing them to go to the website right away, but in agreement with Mary, the ad still does not say anything about what godaddy.com actually is or does! This is where they will lose their female audience completely. I see this ad as discriminating against women with the visuals alone, but by not explaining what the website is will lose the company’s chance of the female audience visiting the site at all.
This advertisement is geared to males and I agree that it can make girls feel quite uncomfortable if they are watching. The purpose of the woman in the ad is just to try to get males to watch the commercial and then go to godaddy.com. At the ending, when the woman is about to take her dress off and then the commercial ends, I think it would leave the males wanting more which would persuade them to look at the website.
ReplyDeleteI think females could be either offended or not really bothered by it. They could be offended because it is directly targeting males. Contrary, they could be fine with the commercial, thinking that they can get a job based on their looks which could be an advantage to women since today men are more likely to be hired than women.
Companies have different options in which to attract their viewers and I think that they took the approach to have more people to look at the website and not exactly at what the company can do. I didn’t know what godaddy.com was until someone told me and at first I thought the commercial was advertising something a little bit differently, which goes along with Nicole and Mary. Who are they and what do they do? Every company has their own strategy for attracting viewers and this is the path godaddy.com decided to choose.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree that this ad is very male oriented as the only reason the woman is in the ad is to hook in male viewers. In regards to the public's reaction, its typical of an ad geared towards a certain demographic, it will entice one group but possibly offend another which in this case is women. Godaddy is an internet domain registrar and web hosting company and lets face it, this stuff tends to be a more male dominated field of interest, so the ads focus on a male audience would make sense. The way in which it uses women to appeal to men may upset many people but its nothing new and is almost expected in our culture today.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with everyone above that it is really weird that they don't actually explain what Godaddy is as it's not that really well known of a company. This may be a marketing strategy as it forces those that are interested to research Godaddy which in effect gives the company more advertisement and web traffic.
Overall its an appealing ad and targets the correct audience effectively.
After watching this commercial I was still confused about the purpose of Godaddy.com. Even though they said some general information about the website I still looked it up to find out exactly what it does. Leaving the viewer with questions may be another one of their marketing schemes to get people to do more research on them.
ReplyDeleteAnd obviously, by using attractive and scantily dressed women it makes the commercial more memorable in a man's mind. This webiste hosting company chose to gear this commercial towards (young) males who are starting a new business or website. Like Virgil said, this is usually a male dominated field so it makes sense why they chose this.
They have also chosen to be a bit edgy and on the verge on inappropriate in their marketing to make an impression on their audience. This commercial seems unprofessional and I got the impression that they were a new company; however, i was completely wrong. I agree with everyone that this it is definitely strange how they choose to advertise them self but it is working for them.
I have heard of godaddy.com many times before. I never knew or understood what it is and after watching this commercial, I am still unclear on that. The reason for why they do not explain what the website is for may be that they want the audience to be a little confused and ask questions and then visit the website for the answers. It is clear that the commercial focuses on the male audience, and if I knew more about the what the website is for I may understand why.
ReplyDeleteThe purpose of having the women in the ad is to try to get a male’s attention to the commercial. Besides that you can have any other person be the women in the add to get the point across. Every Go Daddy commercial I see on tv tends to have a racy type of feeling with some sort of women stripping off her clothes. I personally don’t mind the add but it does not get me to like Go Daddy anymore then it would if it had a regular commercial. When I think of domain names I don’t think of beautiful women so it surprises me and makes me think why a website company would use it.
ReplyDeleteSince the ad is targeting men I feel like they loose any female watchers when the ad airs. I don’t think women really care about the ad but it does really appeal to them making the ad virtually useless to them. But in general the women I think takes away from the product not making it as successful as it could be.
Any ad I can remember about Godaddy.com has minimally clothed women in it. Instead of spending more time and money on relaying the actual message of what service Godaddy.com provides to consumers, the company seems to have more of an interest in affiliating their company name with attractive women. There are many more Godaddy ads in which women are the main content as well. I think what the company is trying to do is make consumers affiliate the name Godaddy to an image of beauty and enticement. Many people don't even know what type of service Godaddy sells, but they know the name of the company, and can surely link it to these ideas of beautiful women. It is a different than usual type of advertising, to solely show women and barely mention the product being advertised. These ads must be proving successful for Godaddy, or else the company would not continue using them. It is going to be interesting to see just how effective this technique will be.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen this commercial before now, yet I have seen others and they are all very similar. At least one girl with sexual appeal throughout the whole commercial and then at the end she begins taking off her clothes and it ends by tell you that if you want to see more, go to their website. Having women like this in their ads is definitely just to get the attention of the male audience. However, by doing that they are running the risk of losing some of the female audience. The girls who watch this might think that they are using women as objects and for eye candy. For this commercial, they might think that women in the work place are only there because they look good.
ReplyDeleteAfter seeing many of these godaddy.com commercials, I still have not seen one that tells all about the company and what it actually does. I do think that it is kind of strange that they do that, but it did make me look it up and find out what it is. So by being vague, they get the people who are interested in the company to look up what it is and that gets their name out and around the internet. This must be working, because they are making money and they keep making these types of commercials.
The purpose of having the woman in the ad is absolutely attracting male audiences, but I think, also attracting females. Probably some women would try Godaddy.com to be as leisurely and comfortable as that woman in the ad. However, to be honest, I don’t quite understand about this commercial. I don’t it has informed audiences about what’s the advantages of using Godaddy.com. The commercial aims at how sexy the woman is, but it seems has nothing to do with Godaddy.com which provides domain names. Probably the person who makes this just wants to make everyone remember the name of Godaddy.com, and therefore have a larger possibility to go for using it.
ReplyDeleteThis advertisement does say a little about what godaddy.com but it is not much. After watching this commercial and all the other godaddy.com commercial it is obvious as to why they have these attractive girls on their website. The whole point is to attract men to the website. Also think about how much people would know about godaddy.com without these advertisements. If these commercials were not different or did not stand out, nobody would ever watch or know about the godaddy.com website. Yes, this commercial is mainly pointed to men, but that is because the commercials are usually shown during sports. The most I remember seeing the commercial is during the Super Bowl, which is male dominant in viewing.
ReplyDeleteI think the ad is targeted to the guys, obviously. The purpose of having this woman in the ad is to attract the guys but also this commercial. Although I still don’t exactly understand the meaning and the point to this commercial which makes it a little harder to understand what the main point to this ad is. I feel as though this commercial says that godaddy.com does every job, and the woman in the office is just there to look at and be entertained. As a public attention I would think that it attracts guys and something for dads to read, well the guys to go surf on that web. The ad is targeted to the men out there watching this, and most likely the guys would enjoy seeing a hot lady in an office working making it more enjoyable for guys. However, I do find it strange that this ad focus a lot more on that woman and the sexual appeal rather than the company or this godaddy.com website. After watching this commercial I still don’t have an idea to what this commercial was about, or the meaning behind it.
ReplyDeleteI honestly think this ad is genius in that it specifically targets an audience. I definitely agree that the audience being targeted is males since the main focus of the ad seems to be “Heather” and her unorthodox work apparel. The reason I say this ad is genius is because it is a fact that sex sells in the world we live in now. They may not specifically say what exactly their product is, but almost all of their commercials leave the viewers hanging with some sort of risqué behavior followed by the words, “See more now!” This entices their targeted males to do just that and see what godaddy.com is really all about. One could argue that godaddy.com is losing potential female customers or offending others, however who really would be using their services? It seems as if the targeted audience is just the type of person who would use their website, thus being a successful ad.
ReplyDeleteIn this ad, it is apparent that men are the intended audience. Some females might find this ad offensive, but I don't take offense to it. This commercial did a good job of capturing its intended audience's attention. Godaddy.com used sex appeal, because that is really what sells these days. While this commercial does not really explain what godaddy.com is, it captures the attention of its audience, making them more likely to visit the website out of curiosity. Overall I think go daddy.com did a good job of intriguing the audience and marketing their website.
ReplyDeleteObviously the intended audience for this GoDaddy commercial is male. As Nathan stated, sex sells. Like all commercials that contain a scantily clad woman, this commercial tends to imediately capture the attention of the male audience. This commercial uses the foot in door approach to sell their product. The women draw in the targeted audience and curiosity completes the allure for this commercial. I don't find these commercials particularly effective at marketing the GoDaddy.com product. As many GoDaddy commercials as I have seen on TV, I still have yet to understand what exactly the commercials are trying to sell. This ad campaign must be working pretty well since it is one of many similar commercials that have used the GoDaddy name. Although it may almost completely alienate women, that doesn't seem to matter.
ReplyDelete