http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/tebow/1374394
What are your reactions to this sketch from Saturday Night Live? Do you feel it is directly making fun of Tim Tebow and Christianity? Has the skit gone too far with poking fun? Did you find the sketch funny and did you like it?
The first time I ever saw this video on Saturday Night Live, I cringed. Even though I found this skit hilarious and entertaining, I knew that SNL would most likely receive thousands of complaints after its airing.
ReplyDeleteComing from Catholic schooling, I understood all the featured humor and actually laughed out loud at parts. I do believe that the humor is for those that know some about Christianity as well as the Denver Broncos. Mostly everybody knows at least a little about Tim Tebow and that's the only reason that he was chosen to be featured on Saturday Night Live. SNL skits are mostly all about recent events that everyone can relate to.
In this case, I found the skit very well thought out and consequently, I appreciated the humor and the actors in it. Even though this skit might be poking fun at both Tebow and Christianity, the writers would never intentionally hurt a person or organization. For example, my grandmother, a Catholic for 89 years, found humor in this skit.
Overall, I felt that SNL did not take the humor too far in its skit but actually presented a parody with Tim Tebow quite well!
I do believe that this is directly making fun of Tim Tebow and his Christianity, but that is what all SNL episodes do. The whole point of SNL is to make fun of people so this is definitely making fun of him. I honestly did not find this funny at all and I didn't really like it either. I am a Christian myself and it doesn't really bother me a whole lot that they are making fun of it, but I am sure that many Christians did take offense to this. It it never SNL's intention to hurt anyone, but everyone reacts to the episodes differently. There are funnier episodes out there that I really enjoy, but this one just wasn't funny to me.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time I have ever seen anything from Saturday Night Live. I have always heard about how funny and entertaining it was, and after watching this Tim Tebow skit, I would have to agree. I am not the best at keeping up with football players, but I did know that Tebow was very religious. As a Christian myself, I did not find this clip offensive at all. I have been taught growing up not to take everything so personal or offensive, so I still found this skit quite humorous. Some may think SNL took the skit too far making fun of Tebow and his religious beliefs, but I still don’t.
ReplyDeleteAs a professional football player, Tebow is always in the media. He made a personal choice to make his religious beliefs publicly known, so that leaves it wide open for the media to “poke fun” at them. So no, I do not think the skit went too far making fun of Tebow. If he did not want this to ever happen, then he should have kept his personal beliefs more private.
I haven’t seen very many clips from Saturday Night Live , but from the ones I have seen have been quite amusing. Even though I didn’t find this one quite as entertaining and funny as some people might have, I did enjoy watching it. Even though I think it is making fun of Tim Tebow and his Christianity, it’s SNL. Whether Christian or not, this episode isn’t trying to make us not believe or put down religion, it’s just using humor that most everyone would understand.
ReplyDeleteTim Tebow has made his beliefs apparent and of course not everyone is going to agree so there is going to be criticism. SNL did do poking, but I don’t think they went too far. Their episodes are suppose to be humorous and entertain viewers, not intentionally hurt anyone. Everyone is going to react differently to any episode, but we can’t take it offensively.
Personally, I didn’t fine if offensive even though other people may not agree. People who find this episode offensive probably find other episodes hilarious even though they might be poking fun at someone else. If you can’t handle being poked at, then watch at who you poke at.
I did not find this offensive at all since SNL was trying to relate to their audience to evoke humor. Like Jen said, SNL references recent events or well known knowledge that most of SNL's audience would understand. Although I can definitely see how many find this controversial, I think that can be said about quite a few of SNL's skits.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Nicole when she said that Tebow could have kept his beliefs more quiet to prevent him from being poked fun at. SNL would not intentionally try to offend him or Christianity; they just saw him as a good opportunity to use for their skit.
I found this clip pretty funny and I thought they did a good job of exaggerating Tebow's religious reputation to make it humorous without crossing the line and putting down Christianity. If people take SNL offensively then they are missing the point of the show.
The clip is from SNL so its most likely gonna make fun of someone and this case it's Tebow and the connection he has to the christian faith. Some may have found this skit to be controversial but as a Christian myself, I found this skit to be fairly funny and wasn't offended by it at all.
ReplyDeleteOverall I liked the skit and its humor, but at the same time it makes me feel sorry for Tebow. The dude can't seem to get a break, hes always talked and people hound him about everything he does. So what if the guy has a little faith, I think he's more of a christian than many other public figures that claim to follow a "christian lifestyle".
I find this clip from SNL funny and clever. I think the writers of this sketch did a good job poking fun at Tim Tebow and not offending too many christians. As a football fan, I remember watching Tebow every week make some dramatic comeback and somehow pull out a win. Each game during that streak required him to get lucky on multiple occasions. Tebow is a very religious person and the fact that these lucky events kept happening game after game gave SNL a base for their sketch. So for sketch to have Jesus show up and talk about how he has been helping out Tebow is clever. It is also clever that they made Jesus not able to be with Tebow for the next game against the Patriots. Because at the time, the Patriots were one of the hottest teams in the league and there was no way that the Broncos were going to win, so there was no way that Jesus would be about to help Tebow pull of another victory.
ReplyDeleteOverall, I personally was not offended by this skit. I thought it was funny and clever.
Watching this skit, I thought it was genius. Tim Tebow is one of the most famous athletes of this time. People know him for his devotion to God and his religious ways. To me the skit was just exaggerating the characteristics that make Tebow known. To me, the skit was voicing the opinion that a lot of people have, Tebow isn’t that great of a QB but his religious beliefs help him. For this, I can see why there would be major clamor about the skit but overall I thought it was funny and I liked it.
ReplyDeleteI do think that SNL skit is not as much making fun of Christianity as it is making fun of Tim Tebow. I think the skit is hilarious but people who think it is making fun of Christianity a lot is wrong. Yes, it is making fun of it a little but its more in the fact that the whole thing is making fun of how Tim Tebow is someone who throws his beliefs on people a little too much. I personally liked it a lot because I am not a huge Tim Tebow fan, so in that aspect of making fun of him I thought it was funny. I don't believe that the skit is taking it too far with its comedy. I could probably name at least 20 different shows that have made a joke of either Christianity or just Jesus himself, so SNL is not that bad for doing one too.
ReplyDeleteI found this skit funny and entertaining. I went to catholic school my whole life, but I did not find this very offensive. I think it was making fun of Tim Tebow more than Christianity. SNL took Tebow's Christianity to poke fun of, but I do not think it went too far. SNL pokes fun of many different people and their beliefs all the time. I can see how some people might take offense to this, but I thought it was a funny skit.
ReplyDeleteThere has been countess parts in skits, shows and even movies where Jesus appears, and they always have the same structure. Jesus shows up in a robe from a cloud and reveals that he has caused certain events and leaves in a cloud of mist. This skit is no different. I do not find these types of skits offensive, but they are not particularly funny either. I am sure that Tim Tebow was not tickled with the misrepresentative Jesus in the skit. Someone of that much faith might take offense to the skit. I feel that the material was centered around Tebow more than the religion itself, which is why a christian audience could find it humorous.
ReplyDeleteI remember first seeing this sketch after someone had posted a link to it on Facebook because they thought it was quite funny and I tend to agree. Being raised a Christian there are definitely certain parts of this sketch that make me uneasy but in reality I realize it is an SNL skit which is meant to be taken as a joke. It is certainly poking fun at Tebow however I don’t think it is meant to make fun of Christianity. I think that SNL is cleverly using certain things about Christianity to make fun of Tebow’s blatant faith in which some find almost annoying, which is exactly the fact SNL is playing on in this sketch. Overall I found this funny and I don’t believe this skit has gone too far. Ultimately it appears on SNL in which almost none of what is being presented should be taken seriously.
ReplyDeleteI felt that this particular Saturday Night Live sketch is poking fun at Tim Tebow and Christianity, but I in no way see it as being truly offensive to anyone or anything involved. SNL is well known for its skits and jokes about current events and issues. While they are funny and enjoyable to watch, no one ever truly takes these sketches seriously. The writers on SNL are purely going for laughs, which these days usually arise from a controversial issue. Countless SNL skits, as well as other comedy shows, have gone much farther in making fun of certain issues in today's culture, therefore I personally think that the Tebow sketch is a light-hearted and funny joke that shouldn't be taken too seriously.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the clip was poking fun at Tim Tebow and his religion but I didn't find it to be particularly offensive. Saturday Night Live has become popular by making fun of current events and TIm Tebow's religion was a major topic of conversation over the past year. The show makes fun of sensitive topics in order to make the audience laugh and sometimes it can step on a few toes but overall I believe that it is not meant to come off in an offensive way. The skit about Tebow was purely for comedies sake and I find that the funniest skits on the show can often be perceived as offensive. I don't think that this skit was meant to outright offend christians or Tim Tebow but instead to make an audience laugh, which I did.
ReplyDeleteActually I don’t know who Tim Tebow is. I never watch football games. Anyway, I don’t think that this is somewhat offensive to Christianity. I just consider it as a funny sketch about football and involving Christianity at the same time. SNL is sheer making fun. Also, I think people would like it just because it makes them laugh.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time I have seen this skit. I usually think that SNL is really funny, and I think that this one is too. I am a Christian myself and yes, SNL does joke about the Tebow Christian thing but that is what the show does. They are never going to make everyone happy. They are always poking fun at different people and different topics. This skit is most definitely not the first time crossing the line and making fun of someone. It just happens that every individual has their opinions and people do not need to be so up tight. SNL probably got a lot of hate mail and nasty messages just like they probably do for a lot of their skits. But their job is to entertain and I think they did.
ReplyDeleteI dont think that this sketch is offensive to Christians. SNL is known for poking harmless fun at celebrities and athletes and this is yet another instance of this. If a member of the Christian religion was to be offended by this then they do not know much about Tim Tebow. He is practically the poster child of everything that a Christian young man should be. Keeping this in mind is important when watching this clip and laughing at its cleverness. There were no mal intentions from writers of the skit and it was very entertaining to many viewers. Personally, I like the skit.
ReplyDeleteDespite the fact that I don't watch football and don't know much about it, I found this skit quite entertaining. I realized that the purpose of the skit was to make fun of Tim Tebow and not so much of Christianity. Although, yes, I have to say that it might be offensive in some parts to Christians. But mostly, I believe, it didn't go too far. SNL has always made fun of people this way, and it's nothing personal or serious.
ReplyDeleteI do not believe that snl is going too far. The skit is obviously making fun of Tebow and Christianity but it is to be funny. They have poked fun at just about anything you can think of. There are always skits that lead to people getting upset and complaining, but its just to make people laugh. They don't want people to get offended. They want them to laugh and enjoy what they are doing and that's just what I did. I enjoyed it.
ReplyDelete