http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/413103/a-new-girl-in-school
This is a clip from the animated series South Park, shown nightly on comedy central. The show has reached its high levels of popularity with young adults due to its crude humor. This clip is particularly about the guys being curious about a new girl in school and who is going to win her affection. However, he clip takes a surprising twist. What are your reactions to this blatantly racial portrayal of a relationship. Is this an accurate demonstration of how students would react to a new student of any race? Is this hinting that inter-racial relationships are frowned upon or not common in todays society? Do you agree or disagree with this clip?
Relationships between Caucasians and African Americans have become more and more popular in the recent years. In past decades, very few people approved of interracial relationships, stemming all the way back to the times of slavery in the Civil War.
ReplyDeleteSouth Park tends to make fun of about anything and everything in society so it's no surprise to me that the creators chose this topic to be featured. Sadly, the reason that they most likely recreated this situation is because many people do have quite similar reactions to differences in race.
Although it ranges from city to city, interracial marriages can be quite easy to maintain or extremely difficult to have others accept. Movies like "Lakeview Terrace", in which Samuel L. Jackson stars as a police officer determined to break up the new interracial couple next door, show the difficulties of being in an interracial relationship.
However, I feel that recently students would be accepting and even attracted to a person of another race due to the change in times. South Park just uses this clip, like many others, to poke fun at the every day stereotypes that we see in life.
I don't think this South Park clip is an accurate portrayal of how students would react to a new student of a different race. I think in recent times, people have become more accepting and willing to give other races a chance. This clip is just showing the stereotypical view that people have of members of the same race dating or getting into relationships with one another. I don't think this clip is trying to say that inter-relationships are frowned upon, however I think it is showing that they are more uncommon than same race relationships.
ReplyDeleteAfter viewing this short clip from a South Park episode, the main thing I noticed is how racial it is towards African Americans. Along with its racial references, this clip is also an exaggerated example of how students react when there is a new kid in school. Current students of the school are always interested and gossiping to one another whenever a new student enrolls, but maybe not quite to the extent that is shown in this clip. All of the male students stopped in the hallway together during school just to discuss the new girl that they heard about.
ReplyDeleteIt was very clear from the clip that most of the students at this South Park School were Caucasian, so it was a very big deal to them to find the new girl student/cheerleader to be an African American. This clip clearly shows that inter-racial relationships are most likely frowned upon, or just simply undesirable, because as soon as the new girl was seen by the male students, they all seemed disappointed that she was only Token’s (male African American student) “type”. Token seemed to be upset about the comment that the new girl was for him, possibly because inter-racial relationships are more common in today’s society than they used to be, so he takes the comment as a racist one since times are different now.
Although I find this clip to be quite racist against African Americans, I still agree with it. As Mary said, “South Park just uses this clip, like many others, to poke fun at the everyday stereotypes that we see in life.” The main stereotype presented is that African Americans are only interested in dating other African Americans, and inter-racial relationships are not “normal”. The reason I agree with it though is because this is really how people think. Even though mixed relationships are more common today, there are still many racist people out there, and this clip makes that very clear.
I agree with Abbey and think that this clip is an inaccurate portrayal of how people would react to an inter-racial relationship. Like most South Park episodes, this scenario exaggerates the point the writers are trying to get across to the viewer. By only having one African American male and one African American female surrounded by many Caucasians it makes people feel more awkward and points out what it wrong about stereotyping relationships.
ReplyDeleteThis definitely hints that inter-racial relationships are not as common as relationships between people of the same race with an extreme example but I don't think it suggests that inter-racial relationships are frowned upon. The writers are simply making a point that this stereotype exists whether people want to accept it or not.
I don't find this clip too offensive, but it is also a South Park Cclip so it is meant to be a little touchy and trigger a strong reaction.
I agree with Abbey and Erin when they say that this clip is not an accurate portrayal of how students would react to a new student of a particular race.
ReplyDeleteAlthough society has become much more accepting of interracial couples now than it has ever been, this clip, I believe, is trying to bring attention to the fact that there still remains a large portion of society which still isn't as accepting of such relationships.
I do not believe that the creators of South Park were trying to be racist when they came up with the idea for this certain episode/clip, I believe they were just trying to highlight a persisting issue in our society in a comical way.
I don’t really have a reaction to this racial portrayal because it’s an animated show where it is over exaggerated. Racism can be seen today and I know South Park likes to take things in society and make them humorous, but I don’t think they should be portraying that racism is part of life and that it is all right to participate.
ReplyDeleteI do not agree that this is not an accurate portrayal of how students would react. Yes, there are some students who might think that African Americans should only date other African Americans, but relationships of different cultures are becoming more prominent and people are beginning to accept that. Like Erin said, considering there is only one African American female and male surrounded by several Caucasians, it is pointing out that races should not mix. The consequence is that it can be hurtful even though it might have seemed like a joke at first.
I think it is hinting that inter-racial relationships are frowned upon because there are a majority of people who still don’t accept it, but I don’t see the clip saying it is uncommon.
Even though I think South Park shouldn’t have used this blatantly racial portrayal of a relationship, I don’t find it offensive because it is an adult humor show that isn’t trying to be racist. They just take everyday issues in today’s society and try to make it funny.
After watching this South Park clip, I was expecting South Park to have some sort of twist on the new girl in school, but I wasn't sure what it would be. So I was a little surprised when they went with the racial route. However I do not think that this is an accurate depiction of how students would react when they find out a new student has arrived. For instants, when I was in middle school we got new students every year and always at least one of them was African American. When that happened, nobody acted like the students in South Park did. Everyone just thought of them as a new student just like every other student.
ReplyDeleteI think that this clip is hinting a little at the fact that interracial relationships are frowned upon by some groups in society. Even though this clip may be hinting at that, in general, society has become more accepting of interracial relationships. Even though the clip can be controversial, I personally don't think that the makers of South Park were not trying to racist. They were only pushing the limits in order to be funny, just as they always do.
This South Park clip hinting to the underpinnings of cultural stigma towards interracial couples says a couple of things about the issue. I think that the stigma invoked by Cartman in this case (That Token would be automatically attracted to an African American girl) seems over exaggerated, but when you think about it, there still are many people today who would subconsciously assume the same conclusion. While I personally think that this situation is racist and uncovers some hidden stereotypes about interracial couples, this is probably how most fourth graders today would react in the same situation. I don’t think kids that young would have had enough experience in dating and relationships to have seriously considered an interracial couple. Although I don’t think that necessarily means that younger kids are against interracial couples, but they just naturally assume that most couples would both be of the same ethnicity. In the typical South Park fashion, the joke is blowing the issue way out of proportion with what is seen in reality, but there is still a kernel of truth behind the racist TV clip.
ReplyDeleteI agree with most of what has been posted about this video. For the most part, it seems as though the creators of South Park are using this particular scenerio to comment on the underlying racism that, although it may be less common, still exsists in the United States today. South Park's target audience is composed of young adults, and my guess is that the creators of the show are assuming that these young adults understand that they are not attempting to promote this point of view, but comment on the fact that it is still around in the U.S. even though it is so close-minded.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with just about everyone with this clip. The targeted audience for South Park are people that know what they in for when they watch the episodes. I personally found this video to be comical. It is hard at least for me to take South Park seriously. I do not think at all that this video shows how students are and relationships among races. I don't know about how all schools are but I know that this clip does not portray how students react to new students. So overall I disagree with this clip, but I did think it was comical and entertaining for the context of the show just because that is how South Park is and you really never know what to expect.
ReplyDeleteWhen a new girl game to the school I was expecting a different twist, not this racial deal. I don’t think this is right. Perhaps in the older decades African American would only date African American people. But now things changed, it doesn’t matter if you’re African American dating a Caucasian person. We have all different kinds of relationships with other races. Asian, African America, Indian, Hispanic, and etc all of these are approved, more like we are allowed to have interactions and relationships with whomever we wish. Times changed and we don’t just date the same race anymore. I don’t think this is an accurate demonstration of how students would react to the new student. If the people are willing to talk to the new student I don’t think it would really matter to what their race is. In today’s society seeing different race relationships is common. Perhaps in some cities inter-racial relationships are frowned upon but, that is a fraction of America. Today we see different relationships. I disagree with this. That the same race students don’t always have an relationship. Knowing South Park, I suppose it makes fun of the stereotypical racial jokes that people commonly think or say about.
ReplyDeleteI would have to admit that as a fourth grader, I would have most likely held the same view as Cartmen and couldn't have imagined myself in a relationship with someone other than my own ethnicity. Just as Taylor said, young kids do not have the experience in relationships and dating to consider people of other races, but that of course doesn't mean there against it, its just natural for kids to think that way. While inter-racial couples have become more popular, there is still a certain stigma held in society that people should gravitate to those of their own race even if we don't want to admit it.
ReplyDeleteI believe that the creators of South Park are poking fun at this idea and are trying to show that people hold on to many of these kind of childish stereotypes and may not even realize it. I think its funny that so many people criticize South Park as a mindless program and think its a detriment to society. Sure it uses very crude humor, but its one of the only programs that isn't afraid to highlight touchy issues that other conservative programs wouldn't dare mention and this is just one of those issues.
I agree with the other comments. I believe that this clip is not an accurate portrayal of how fourth graders would respond in this situation but what happens in the show was more of an exaggeration of a stereotype that sadly does exist. South Park is a comedy and most of the things that happen aren't meant to be taken seriously but instead play on realistic concepts in order to keep their target audience interested week after week.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe that the clip is hinting at the fact that interracial couples are frowned upon but instead poking fun at the stereotype of people dating within their own race. Interracial couples have become more common but there is still a stereotype left in peoples minds from when they were not as accepted which is what South Park was playing on in order to make people laugh.
I agree that the clip doesn’t hint that interracial couples are frowned upon. I think the author just want to raise kind of awareness or discussion of inter-racial relationship. Since this topic is so sensitive, the author takes advantage of humorous animation to make it. Indeed, inter-racial relationship is not common in today’s society, but it actually makes the society more harmonious. This kind of relationship connects at least two races together, making these races know more about each other.
ReplyDeleteIt may be naive but, if problems with interracial couples still exist today, I am largely unaware of it. I realize some people may prefer to date someone who they are more comfortable with but I don't think too many people these days actually disapprove of others doing so. I think this clip is not necessarily an accurate depiction but it is a humorous one. I feel that someone may make a comment like that, but only as a joke. I'm not saying there aren't haters out there, I just don't think they are particularly represented in this clip.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with most that this clip does not accurately depict how students would react to a new student of any race. The blatant awe and surprise of most of the students shown is not accurate. In today’s world, most schools have not only more than one race, but many different races represented, so it is not uncommon for a school to be ethnically mixed. The clip is definitely explicitly stating that interracial relationships are frowned upon, based off of one of the student’s comments to the only African American boy in the class. However, implicitly one must think about the context of the show in which this clip appears. South Park is known for its outrageous jokes on controversial topics. That being said, this particular clip is only funny since interracial relationships are for the most part accepted in today’s world. If they weren’t accepted, then this clip would simply be a slap in the face to those who are part of an interracial relationship and would be seen as a horrid statement. Because this clip appears on South Park, it is seen as a joke and nothing more. Those who take offense to this clip are simply being naïve to the context.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Nathan is saying. Especially the idea that because this is on south park, its just a joke. I'm a person who watches south park all of the time and don't really think about if what they are saying is true and if its wrong. I just see it as a joke and something that is just funny. I don't think this is a good representation of how kids would act because they wouldn't know much better being as young as they are. Because interracial couples are, for the most part, accepted today, its just a joke and nothing more.
ReplyDeleteSouth park likes to take real life issues and make fun of them using their show. That being said as a tv watcher of shows such as these it is intended to gwet a few laughs and not make a big deal about it. I don't think that it is an 100 percent accurate of the times today, but it is not far off. Some people in this country still don't see races mixing as a good thing and might agree with the show. While more modern people today will be upset because there are tons of interacial couples in the US today. I personally disagree with what south park is writing about. I know a few interacial couples and I do not think it is an issue in society today.
ReplyDeleteI feel like South Park takes common issues and over exagerates the issue to make it clear to the audience. In the case of this commercial, the appearance of a new kid at school would probably not draw the attention that is portrayed in South Park. Coming from a small ehtnically similar school I understand the hype over the racial tension. In modern times today I completely agree that interracial relationships are now seen as acceptible. Being from a small school and small town though, I do undertand the humor behind the clip. Not that it is right, but I could see a similar situation occuring where I live.
ReplyDeleteCartman is the epitome of a bad and ignorant person in most South Parks. He is used as satire to show what is wrong in society with humor. It is clear this clip is an exaggeration. that South Park did an episode on this only says that it is an issue right now. South Park has always used recent issues to create their shows. It is unclear if South Park wants us to do something about it or if the creators just wanted to bring awareness to current racism. Either way The creators of South Park are acting against racism here.
ReplyDelete